So, I've noticed a couple of bloggers bragging about their early acceptances into law school. It made me think, why are lawyers so into politics, and why do half of them have some ambition to run for office! I don't know, My interest in the law ended after spending 2 summers working in the mail room at big bay street firm during my undergrad years. And why are the teachers colleges making me wait till April 1st to find out if I get in or not? No fair!
What are the 2 most distrusted professions around?
Lawyers and politicians.......
So this leads into my next point, we need more people running for office from other professions..
Here is a list of professions, with reasons why they would make good Members of Parliament..
1) Doctors - Lets be honest, anyone who takes the Hippocratic oath, cannot be that bad a person, and all that education should make them well spoken hopefully...
2) teachers- who else could handle the childlike behaviour in Question period? And don't feed me any lines about some teacher you didn't like..... or Joe Volpe
3) Journalist - They seem to have all the good ideas, reporting on politics, lets see how they handle the scrums....
4) Farmer - well, let me put it this way, if we had more rural farmer MP's, maybe then we could find out what they really think about subsidies, and the wheat board, too much spin in agriculture industry and policy right now....
5) Blue collar worker- when was the last time, you voted for a true hard working honest blue collar joe who connected with people.
6) mechanic- I have never seen anyone handle so many angry people, than the owner of my local garage, boy, he would look good in a constituency office, People aren't happy lots when their car breaks down, remember that.
7) Firefighter - well, who else could run on a platform of having rescued constituents by running into burning buildings, now I would enjoy reading that in my candidates bio!
if you have any other ideas, let me know....
I don't think it should be too surprising that people who are interested in the practice of law are also interested in politics. MPs are lawmakers.
but if lawyers made all the laws, we would have to sign a waiver to use a public toilet! And we would all be sued for something right now! ;)
I think all the other professionals are too busy, you know, actually working, to have much time for politics.
I understand in Ottawa that lawyers are being outnumbered by political careerists as MPs. These political careerist are people who work on the Hill in MPs offices and/or Ministers offices.
They then use these positions to finagle nominations back in the home ridings. These careerists have limited by any real life experience outside Ottawa and are all about tactics above substance.
Perhaps, it would be useful if a list of such current MPs fill this
bill. I am sure we would find a less than inspiring lot.
Post a Comment